Curcumin ( diferuloylmethane), the main yellow bioactive component of turmeric has been shown to have wide spectrum of biological actions. These includes its anti inflammatory, antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, anticoagulant, antiprotozoal, anti venom, antiviral, antiulcer and hypotensive activities. Overall it is a good handy emergency medicine. Few of its magical properties are mentioned here.
BRUISES, SPRAINS AND WOUNDS
- Turmeric powder with lime or water on the affected parts eliminates swelling& pain in bruises.
- Turmeric powder along with hot milk intake is also beneficial for bones.
- Turmeric powder when applied on wound or cut can stop bleeding immediately and also hasten its healing.
Mixture of turmeric powder and lime nullifies the toxic effect.
- One teaspoon ground toasted turmeric powder with 2 spoon of honey 3-4 times a day relieves cough.
- Chewing betal with little turmeric is also good remedy.
- Applying paste of turmeric rubbed on stone with water on the affected part is helpful in ringworm white spots.
- Applying paste of turmeric and sesame oil on the body prevents skin eruptions.
- Turmeric powder with one spoon of honey twice a day is helpful.
- Intake of roasted turmeric with jiggery cures itching.
- Taking turmeric powder and little salt with hot water or licking I teaspoon of turmeric with honey gives relief in cough and eliminates congestion of bronchi.
- Taking turmeric boiled in milk and sweetened with jiggery is very useful in cold and asthma.
- Sucking a piece of turmeric or keeping in mouth at night relieves chronic cold.
- Inhaling smoke of burned turmeric acts as a expectorant.
Gargling with one glass of water in which little turmeric powder is boiled,
twice a day, cures it.
Taking paste of ground or juice of raw turmeric and honey with goats milk twice a day cures all urinary problems.
PREGNANCY AND POSTNATAL CARE
Taking 1 teaspoon of turmeric with hot milk in latter part of 9th month of pregnancy helps in easy delivery.
Take turmeric powder with sugar twice a day.
- Rinsing the mouth with mixture of turmeric, clove and 2 dried leaves of guava in 200ml of water is helpful.
- Applying & rubbing the teeth with paste of turmeric powder, salt and mustard oil strengthen the gums.
- Massaging the aching teeth with roasted turmeric eliminates pain and swelling.
- There is hardly any dish in which Indian don’t put a little bit of turmeric.
- The Indian for many years knew its multiple benefits and uses ranging from medicine to food.
- Curcumin, one of the active ingredients in turmeric, induces the flow of bile, which break down fats.
- Curcumin in turmeric is an anti inflammatory agent that relieves the aches and pain associated with arthritis.
- Turmeric is useful in case of cardio vascular conditions.
- Turmeric’s volatile oil functions as an external antibiotics, preventing bacterial infection in wounds.
- Organic Turmeric pastes and ointments can be made from it. Hence, it will prevent from wound infections.
- Owing to its anti bacterial properties, organic turmeric can be taken on daily basis to boost body immunity to various allergic conditions.